Monday, February 13, 2012

A Decision

First things first, I have decided (thanks in large part to Esther who gave me the proverbial kick to the posterior!) to enter the Vermont Quilt Festival.  First, I think the comments the judges will make will be very helpful.  Certainly, I can learn more about quilt design, but even more, I hope to be able to improve my construction based on their critique.  Among other things, I think one reason I don't enjoy binding is because I don't do it well!  I finished the binding for both "Miss Ruby" and "Daisy Makes Do", and I'm not satisfied that I did a great job.  While I love designing my own quilts, I probably won't be spending as much time doing that as I will in constructing traditional quilts or those designed by others. 

I muddled over which quilt to send, and in the end I decided on "Music of the Night".  First of all, "Jack" is too old.  Quilts have to have been finished after February 2011; "Jack" was finished in October of 2010.  Since both "Jack" (even if he were eligible) and "Miss Ruby" are strong designs, they would not be the best candidates to help me learn how to improve.  "Daisy Makes Do" would be an excellent choice, but the subject matter (with its heavy emphasis on quilting tradition being passed on through the women in a family) might skew opinion and therefor compromise any possibility to learn.   So that leaves "Music" which I like very much, but which, I am sure, would not be to everyone's taste. 

That should leave plenty for the judges to tell me! 



No comments:

Post a Comment