Thursday, February 9, 2012

Crazy Quilt: First Block

Have I told you that Mary Ellen and I decided we didn't have enough to do?  That we felt we should add another quilt project because we need to keep our hands busy?   Actually, I just remembered that I did indeed tell you about our first Crazy Quilt class and how much we loved it.

What I know I didn't do was show you what I was doing.  It's too bad because it's fun (well, it's fun for me!) to keep track of the progress of a project.  Last night I spent the entire evening embroidering on my first block.  I'll show you a photo, but you have to promise to remember it isn't finished, yet.  (Esther has discovered that if you click on the photos you will get an enlargement.)
Here it is on my green cutting mat.  I didn't crop the photo so you could see it in all its raw edge glory. One of the first things Bonnie told us was that in constructing the block, we didn't want to have the first piece (the fabric scrap around which all others are added) in the actual center of the block.  That's a basic design principle.  The first piece, my center-of-attention piece of fabric, is - yes, you've got it - pretty much smack dab in the center of this block!  How's that for following directions.  Note to self:  Be more careful to plan fabric placement next time!

Embroidery has always been a love of mine.  Anything done with a needle seems to soothe my savage self, but embroidery because of its infinite possibilities is especially attractive to me.  I have discovered that since it has been so long since I've done any, I am quite rusty.  My needle hand isn't back so this block is taking a long time with a lot of stitch removal needed!  Even so, I love looking through my many embroidery book for stitches to use.

You may be able to see some beads on this block also.  In the upper left on the black and gold fabric, you'll see gold beads and dangling from the pleats in the fabric are swags of black beads with "pearls".  Those pearls I found in my mother's workbox.  Sewing those on and having them a part of this project is very meaningful to me.  I think that's the other thing that really draws me to crazy quilts (okay, in addition to the luscious fabrics and all the embellishments).  They are albums of personal history.  They are history books, diaries, story anthologies.  Now you know the real attraction for me.  I plan to make notes for each block so my family will be able to trace the significance hidden in the details.

Speaking of details:
I am trying to disguise the placement of my central fabric by extending the butterfly into the blocks around it (the odd shape of this center piece said "butterfly" to me).  It's also quite a challenge for me to embroider.  It certainly isn't an exact copy but it is based on a real butterfly, the Asian swallowtail.  Those are really its colors!  I'm using satin stitch which I couched (that means sewing tiny stitches across the length of each strand to hold long stretches of thread in place) with black cotton DMC and pink variegated and white rayon thread (for its shine) .  Last night I started on the wings.  If I'm right, it will take me four nights total for the wings.  That includes time to take out the stitches I don't like.

Jean, remind me to show you the back of this piece.  It isn't your mother's "neat-as-the-front" work at all!


  

   

1 comment: