Friday, February 24, 2012

From Photograph to Fabric

Yesterday I went to Dataflow (on Fuller Road) and gave them some old and some not-so-old photos to transfer onto fabric.  In my first crazy quilt block (which I will show you as soon as I can),  I used some "pearl" beads that I found in my mother's work box, and I thought I'd like to include a photograph of her in this quilt.  That was just the beginning.  If I was going to use an image of my mother, why not one of my grandmother, too?  After all, it is her crazy quilt blocks that I sewed together years ago and that quilt now hangs over my fireplace.  Why not my sister and other family members?  So last night I went searching for photographs and found maybe ten that I thought would do.  Then I hunted in my stash and found the appropriate fabric (photo transfer fabric is great, but any quilter's quality cotton fabric with a tight weave will do), and off I went. 

I spent some talking with Paulette who is their photo-transfer expert, and oh my, do I have ideas now!  Paulette told me about copying a soldier's medals, jewelry, and even paintings.  The more she talked, the more my little old brain went clicking down the track and off onto sidings leading - well, off into lands I've never traveled before. 

Also, since Dataflow is a copying business, they  will resize photos if necessary.  I have a photo taken (circa 1928) of my mother's college sorority.  My mother is in the photo, but her image is half an inch at best.  Paulette enlarged the photo so I can now actually recognize my mother without having to squint!  There's also a 1950's photo of my older sister.  It was dark to begin with and age hasn't improved it any.  Paulette pulled it out and said she could lighten it as well as a couple of others that are a bit dark.  On the other hand, an 8 x 10 portrait of our daughter will be reduced in size. 

I can hardly wait to see what the finished work will look like!  And so another obsession is born.      

3 comments:

  1. love this! can't wait to see a photo (or the real thing)!!
    and just to let you know, I love your blog so much I wanted the rest of the world to enjoy (ok- so maybe just the people who read mine, for now...) so I've nominated you for a Liebster award for small blogs. It is on my latest post on my blog. May you get lots of new followers!! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This from a dear friend who is partially responsible for "getting me into this mess [meaning quilting, blogging and more] in the first place" (as Ollie said to Stan)! Thank you, Karen, I'm so glad your blog is part of your schedule again.

      Delete
  2. You always have some new astonishing discovery to add to your bag of tricks. I'm glad you kept "Daisy Makes Do" for your own fireplace. I don't know what a "Liebster award" is, but your blog is the only one I read faithfully and am disappointed on the days I find nothing posted. I can't say enough positive things about it.

    ReplyDelete