Wednesday, February 8, 2012

If it's Tuesday, it must be . . . Painting!

Maybe I should have a contest on naming my many painting-themed blogs?  I am definitely running out of interesting, attention-grabbing titles myself. 

On February 2nd, I showed you two paintings.  The first one where I ran out of paint has not been worked on because of our weekend trip.  So no real news there.  At least it is dry enough now so I can definitely get the rest of the base layer done this weekend - if life doesn't intervene with its own notions of what I should be doing.

Here's the second painting I showed you, and this one was worked on today.

                             

Most of my class time was spent taking care of what I found to be my two problem areas.  The first problem for me was the caves close to the top of the painting.  They were too dark for such high, distant caves so I toned down their color.  That's nearly taken care of.  Then I wasn't happy with the manner in which I tried to show the difference between the foremost rock wall (with the biggest cave) and the wall behind it.  My choice of color wasn't right and the line was too . . . well, too much of a specific dividing line.  Today's work is much better!  The arch opening to the rock behind it was added today.  Originally I had thought to leave it out, but then I thought it would be an echo of the first canyon painting (Canyon Path).  Indeed, some viewers might think it's the same path and tunnel.

Next week I'll work on the vegetation some more but not too much.  The tree that is showing to the right of the largest cave is too dense in the center.  More canyon wall needs to show through, and highlights need to be added as well as maybe the suggestion of some branches.  Also, today I did a bit of work on the cave entrance and am not happy with it because I've blurred the sharp edge of the cave opening on the right.  So that must be tackled, too.  Again, none of this can be done until the paint is far more dry than it is now. 

One of the things that really doesn't show in the photo, but that Esther commented on is how textured the surface of the canvas has become.  Each additional work day adds paint and not all areas are worked on.  That means that the layers are uneven - much like a rock wall.  Fancy that!    
 

1 comment:

  1. Noel--when I saw your painting today, I just loved it. The toning down of the upper most caves allows the eye to be drawn into the mysterious large central cave. The greens of the vegetation do not detract from the canyon walls, but give them life. For the first time I clicked on your photo of your work and to my surprise saw an enlargement where I was able to see the textures produced by layering. I can't tell what your referring to when you say you blurred the sharp edge of the cave opening on the right. I thought the large cave looks great as is. I do agree that a few branches on the tree would be an effective addition. All in all, I say you're almost done...and well done, it is!

    ReplyDelete