Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Quilter's Early Resolution for 2014


Isn't this a wonderful photo?  Do you get the same surge of desire to create that I experience when seeing something like this?  Look at the edge of the chair seat, the colors and textures of the pumpkins/gourds.  Then there's the pot of flowers, the geometry of the bricks and siding.  See the airiness of the bittersweet.  Colors, shapes, and textures all combined yesterday to start me thinking.

Today while I painted the front door, I thought.  While I took more quilting and painting supplies to find homes in my studio, I thought.  Tonight while I worked on my redwork embroidery, I thought.  And here's what I thought.

Every time I see something like PC's front stoop in the photograph , I start designing a quilt or wool work of some sort.  Sometimes it's a painting, but usually with little vignettes like this one, I think quilt.

Do I make them?  Do I even sketch them?  Do I look at my stash for possible fabrics?

No.

Christmas is coming and I have promises to keep.  Quilts I have promised to make that must be done (and I'd better get started, for as ME told me, there are only ten more weeks until Christmas . . . yikes!).

However, I made a promise to myself today, and by writing it down and putting it out there for the public to see, I've made it a point of honor as well as a promise.  This coming year, as far as new quilt projects are concerned, I will work primarily on my own designs.  Now this is hard because there are so many "traditional" quilts that I want to make, but I do need to let my muse have her day.

Wish me luck and don't be shy to ask how I'm doing on this resolution when you see me and make me be specific and tell you exactly what original work I've done!



2 comments:

  1. I love the incredible picture in this entry. Still, I couldn't help thinking, in a couple of months with a couple of sticks, the pumpkins will make a great snowman out it front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The front of PC's house is beautiful !! Makes me think I should take some time and do ours. As for the promise to yourself, I'm going to hold you to it. And I have a feeling I know which one will be first. Think anniversary. Anyhow, my promise to me is to make my bed a quilt or two. It's time I do something for our home! We'll have to keep each other honest!

    ReplyDelete