Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Misnomer and a Cold Night

Actually the title of this entry should be the other way around.  I just came in from rescuing some tender plants from tonight's low (but not freezing temperatures - only 34 degrees).  Now reposing in the warm garage (what a difference insulation makes!) are two gardenias, a very large stephanotis (I staggered under its weight), D's bougainvillea bonsai, and a three year-old, grown from a seed, peach tree.  The latter may be all of twelve inches tall.  Anyway, they are inside, and I can rest easier knowing they are protected.

Now for the misnomer.  "The name of the painting had to be corrected," she said with an embarrassed grin, "because the artist didn't know what direction was up."  I didn't think it was possible I would be lucky enough to have alliteration (which I love) so instead of checking my facts last night, I typed what I thought was correct.  Silly me.



The painting, which did indeed have to have modest attention today, is "West Whately Woods".  There it is on the piano which makes it look as though it were framed.  Sort of like dressing in your best clothes; a frame can make a painting look pretty darn good.

Then, because I didn't have the photographs I thought I would work from with me, I started on a new Vermont piece.  That was a surprise because there are several New Orleans pieces I'd like to work on, but without my reference photos, I couldn't start on them.  It's all right, though.  The one I chose is a great water color candidate.  On top of that, E and I will be able to look at different approaches to the same subject when I'm finished.


1 comment:

  1. north, south, east, west -- it all kind of depends exactly where you're standing. It is a beautiful painting. Before you know it, you're going to have a studio with wonderful paintings on the wall - a whole new room to decorate!!

    ReplyDelete