Monday, October 7, 2013

New Orleans 2

Looking over yesterday's entry, I realize that I haven't said anything about another of New Orleans' charms, and that is, the juxtaposition of new and old.  So here a few photos I took that express the harmony I think is achieved - rather than dissonance.


On our first morning, D took me to his favorite breakfast spot which happens to be lodged in this old brick building.  Being in a hurry for my first jolt of caffeine for the day, I took this picture after we ate breakfast.  Just look at the great color in those old bricks and then look at the modern glass building directly behind it with its scarlet "W" almost crown-like . . .  to say nothing of the angular building to the left.  Angles, planes, texture, reflection, and color.  It's all there.  And just in case you don't bother to click on the photos to get a better look at them, I re-cropped this one for you.  Now check out the reflection in the glass building. Aren't reflections great?


Here is one that I like because it includes a verbal juxtaposition.  A one-way sign on a "gas lamp" in front of two lovely doorways.




While I am sure that everyone knows about the above-ground burials that the high water table of New Orleans makes necessary, I did have to take some pictures of them.  Frankly, I think it's an eminently sensible way to save land while giving dignity to burials/mourning rituals.  Nor would I be surprised to see something like it adopted in other areas of the country and world as                                                        population continues to explode.


 Lest you think that all we did was walk around the French Quarter and gawk a buildings and cemeteries, let me share some of my very favorite picture of the landscape.  You can be sure that some of these will be revisited in a painting or three!  These were all taken in the City Park which is simply glorious.


Doesn't this remind you of Monet's series of paintings of the Japanese bridge in his garden at Giverny?


Spanish moss again.  I know I shared photos of it after our trip to Charleston, but this close up may allow to see Resurrection Fern also.  That fern grows along the branches and is a lovely green counterpoint to the so-called "moss" (it's really an epiphyte) as long as there is moisture.  When there is a dry spell, the fern turns brown as it is in this photo and wilts, but let the rains come and it perks right up and resurrects itself.  Hence the name.


At this point I need to confess why I go the lengths I do to tell you all this.  And no, it isn't just because I was a teacher although I have to admit that might be a bit of it.  It's really because if I write it down, I have a better chance of remembering it myself!  Sigh - sad but true.  

So until tomorrow's memory boosters, enjoy doing something you love to do.



2 comments:

  1. The buildings are kind of interesting -- but visually, I love the doors with the lamp post and all the garden ones. Love the hanging long lengths of leaves but I'll bet they're one heck of a mess to clean up,. Oh, wait ! They probably don't have fall like we do. Nevermind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lovely photo essays of New Orleans has made me reconsider a visit to the place. We've never been and that never seemed to bother me, but now you changed that. As usual, stunning photos and observations.

    ReplyDelete