Sunday, October 6, 2013

New Orleans

We're back from a nine-day trip to New Orleans which is now in my "Top-Five Cities to Visit".  D had traveled to this city a couple of times and really wanted us to make a trip there so we signed up for a Road Scholar program that would give us an over-view of the city.  Since D had had some experience there, we went down three days before the program started to do some of our own exploring.  I think that its geographic location has kept this city semi-isolated, and semi-developed in such a way that it has retained more of its own flavor than other cities that were more accessible and more able to expand .  Not that New Orleans hasn't grown and changed with the influx of specific cultures, but it has adapted and grown while retaining much of the original settlers (Native American, French, and Spanish).  

Be that as it may, I loved the area and as you look at my photos, you will understand why.  After we checked in at our hotel, we waked to the French Quarter where I took a few pictures of Bourbon street (one does have to go there once).  Some of the things we saw were amusing like this truck . . . 


and the remnants of Mardi Gras masquerading as icicles . . .


Store fronts and windows captured my eye also.  Lucky Dogs are a New Orleans staple, but I think they should leave hot dog making to the pros in other cities.  Even though I wasn't impressed with the product, I enjoyed this window.


Away from Bourbon Street we walked along quiet streets that felt like a small town neighborhood.  Everyone has probably seen pictures of the incredible ironwork in New Orleans (NO from now on), but streets like this one have a special charm all their own.


Every now and then as we walked, we saw narrow alleyways that led to surprise courtyards like this one.  A lovely retreat from the hustle and bustle.  Are you noticing the different colors of the buildings?  Keep an eye out for different vegetation, too, as the week goes on.


Throughout this week, I will share some of my photographs, but as I took many, I will try to share those that highlight different areas than one may ordinarily see.  Don't forget to click on a photograph to get a larger view.






2 comments:

  1. Please tell us you got to Pat O'Brien's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful and I know you had a great time. I don't know that I'd like to look up and see the ocean staring at me, however!!

    ReplyDelete