Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Woods Painting #2

Today I took two possibilities for paintings to work on during my studio class.  The one I thought I would choose to spend time with is a view of a country store in Vermont.  That store is one my sister-in-law E has painted with great success, and I confess that fact intimidates me a bit.  Okay, maybe a lot.  So, instead of starting with the same view she used (we both took photographs from similar vantage points on the same day), I chose to make a preliminary sketch of the store from a very different angle.  The sketch was ready to be worked on today if I chose.

However, as I was talking with Sharon, I realized that I didn't feel quite finished with the autumn woods.  In the beginning, I had worked on two paintings of that scene at the same time.  As time progressed, all my attention and work went to the one with what I considered the better wash of autumn leaf color.  That one is virtually finished now, but E raised a question that has niggled at me ever since.  Both my eye and my hand reached for it today during class so that is what I spent my time doing.  

No pictures were taken yet, but I did spend some time this early evening looking at both paintings.  I will continue with the second one and have some ideas how to go about that.  Will it be better than the first?  Possibly, but I really don't know.  

I'll have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen them and love them both! Have fun tweeking it and good luck with the Country Store whenever you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of what you are referring to. I don't remember doing a country store, although I did many other Vermont scenes. Am I losing it?

    ReplyDelete