Sunday, October 5, 2014

Saga of the Bendy Dolls

It's Sunday, and I forgot!  I spent almost all of the day working on the bendy dolls for my quilt (wrapping the pipe cleaners with embroidery thread is a bit trickier than one might think) and the evening on the clothing - or on one article of clothing.  

For the first shirt I made (for the male figure), I used fabric I had used in the quilt.  As a matter of fact it was the challenge material from ME - just realized that.  The first try didn't work because it was too light weight, and I didn't want his arms to show through because they look like - well, like pipe cleaner arms!  The second try used two layer of fabric but that was getting too complicated so I scrapped that notion.  Next I tried wool, and that really works well.  I spent the evening fancy stitching the jacket and just before I came upstairs I put it on the doll.  Mistake.  Not the putting it on because that had to be done.  No, the mistake was in not doing it earlier.  I wasted all that time working on a jacket that is way too large.  Wool doesn't drape like light-weight fabric; it stands on its own.  The poor doll was engulfed by his jacket!

Disappointing.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day, and at least the boy doll needs only the jacket from which I have learned enough, I think, to make the girl's clothing much easier to design.

I hope!

1 comment:

  1. thankfully, you still have time to work on it. Not much, but at least some!

    ReplyDelete