Monday, March 19, 2012

A Bit of This, A Bit of That

Over the weekend during the incredible weather we've been having, David took me around to the front yard and pointed out some remarkably lovely little species iris that were in bloom.  They are small so unless you get right down on their level (or take a close-up photo), you'd never appreciate their beauty.  The problem with this photo is there is no reference (like my foot beside the flowers) so you can see how little these flowers are.  They certainly don't compare to the ones we're used to seeing in our gardens, the tall-bearded iris.


Here's a close up so you can see the markings better.  If I were to paint a picture of these, people would say, "Oh what an imagination she has; just look at those impossible colors!"  Well, maybe one person would say that.  If you know flowers, you wouldn't say it.


It's been a busy weekend.  D spent most of his time working in the yard doing the spring clean-up (we do know what the date is, right?).  Then both Saturday and Sunday, he spent quite a bit of time working on taking his bonsai out of winter storage and/or repotting them.  Seeing him do that made me very happy.  He took lessons with our local bonsai expert last year, and this is proof that he feels both competent and confident enough to get his hands dirty.  That's a terrible pun that I didn't intend; it just happened.

Most of my time was spent inside doing the houseworky things one does and preparing for the class I taught on Sunday (hand-piecing tumbling blocks/baby blocks).  That meant that I didn't have time to paint after all.  Today we have a workman coming to the house so that will take up my morning.   There's a trip to the quilter in the late morning/early afternoon to pick up the spools quilt and house cleaning later on so painting tomorrow is out.  It's all the more disappointing as I am on jury duty this week and therefore can't really count on a regular schedule at all.  I have my fingers crossed that I won't miss painting tomorrow, but I'm lucky I don't have to report today so I won't whine if it happens.

Over the weekend I received a letter from Daniel, the brother closest to me in age.  He finally got around to asking his son and his daughter if they would like quilts for their children.  Mind you, I've only been asking him since they were born - well, almost since then.  Okay, it only seems like it.  Anyway, not only did Daniel ask them (or more likely his wife Jill did, and he was given the job of reporting their answers), but also he reported the colors of their bedrooms.  Wow, that's really doing the job right!   Now I have three more quilts to make, and I couldn't be more happy.  It's such fun to plan and make things like this for people who will appreciate them.

Of course, my daughter needs to receive hers first . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment