Thursday, March 22, 2012

Design for a Living?

Have you ever thought of making your living as a designer?  I haven't.  Even when I entered that contest last year, designing quilt patterns as a means of making extra money was never a goal.  Trust me, you don't want to, either.  It's hard work!

Every time I have to write up a pattern for some piece that I've created, I promise myself that I won't do it again.  Yes, I suppose it becomes easier the more one does it, and if one has the correct software, I think it may be even easier.  Technology and experience may be a help, but I still think the most dedicated designer would admit that at times a pattern seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

In one way, I view pattern writing like writing a lesson plan.  After all, the two things do share some similarities.  First one has to write the goal - what body of knowledge do you want a student to master?  Then you have to set objectives; how will a student demonstrate that she understands key concepts or can perform key tasks?  This is followed by writing the activities that will take place and will lead the student to achieving the objectives, etc.  Having spent a good number of years doing that, it's usually not a huge problem.  Usually.

Today, I spent a good portion of the day struggling with writing the cutting directions for "Miss Ruby".  Whew, I had no idea that simple little wall hanging was so complex!  Not difficult, mind you, just . . . well, involved.  Almost every block is different.  Either the blocks calls for different fabrics or the pattern is different from the previous.  There are only 24 blocks, but the cutting may take more time and patience than the sewing!  Obviously when I made it, I didn't cut it all in one day.  That was in part because, while I had the pattern drawn, I was constantly fine-tuning either my color choices or the variations-on-a-theme required by the contest. 

Designing is the easy part.  Writing a pattern is tedious in the extreme, and I know I'd hire a pattern writer if I had to do this very often.  My hat is off to those who make a living at turning out patterns! 

2 comments:

  1. I know there are pattern testers out there. Who knew pattern writing could be a job - I think I'll stick to the one I have! ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Ruby always looked more complex to me than you attributed to it. By writing up the lesson plan, maybe you were able to appreciate the complexity more. It is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete