Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Comparison

For my own sake, I am posting the first and the third photos of this particular painting. I was curious to see what the differences are (another great reason to continue "blogging") and if I like the direction in which I'm going. So here is the first rendition from  day 1  followed by the third day (yesterday - no jury duty for the rest of the week, I'm officially excused, huzzah!). 

Well, they are more different than I thought.  This is a good thing for me to see.  While at painting yesterday, I wondered if three days of working on this scene was going to show, or if I was only spinning my wheels.  Now I can see that I have come farther than I thought.  There are, as usual, areas that I like, and there are places that need work.   First, I am glad to have the buildings that are nestled in at the far end of the lake even though the colors are too bright for the distance.  Those cabins are also too large; in actuality one can barely see them.  However, I think I will leave them on the large side because I do want them visible for this composition.  The mountain on the left (with the cliff face) is beginning to show real signs of promise even though I have taken liberties with the color of the rock.  It is more stone-like, grayish, than the shades of brown I've used (to give a sense of reflected light).

But . . . the shore line still needs attention as does that small outcropping of rock on the far left near the water's edge.  The most distant hill on the right is too high, but I won't know if that needs to be changed until the sky is finished.  And that's the big one, isn't it?  The sky has to be finished.  Today I hope to find time for some studies on canvas paper that will give me both a better idea of how to accomplish what I want to do and give me practice in doing it. 

By the way, I have already used the brush with this painting.  While I am learning that there are times I need to use both tools, I am also learning when those times are.  It's like knowing when to use a quilting needle and when to use a sharp, isn't it? 

4 comments:

  1. Wow - there is quite a difference in day 3 of work. I love it. Day three seems more alive. The water is perfect. Oh, heck. In my eyes the whole thing is great! So, someday and I going to have an original Payton hanging in my home? Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ellen, As always thank you for your encouragement. Look at it this way: you have an original Payton hanging around any time you wish! Noel

      Delete
  2. Yes, and I love all the time I spend with my original Payton - but I don't think it would be very nice of me to hang her on my wall (hee, hee) Bet you agree on that one! Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color of your painting really pops now. I, too, think the water is terrific. I agree with you that the houses in the background are a bit too bright. The trees look shaded in the cove. I don't have any problem with the height of the distant mountain to the left. Great that you're now incorporating brush work.

    ReplyDelete