Monday, March 5, 2012

Completions!

From the title of this entry, you know I have managed to finish a few things (okay, only two, but . . . ): "My Mother's Spools" is bordered and the back is pieced; it's ready for the quilter.  Next the crazy quilt, block #1 is ready for critique from teacher Bonnie. 

Today I am going to let my photos do most of the talking.   Click on any picture for an enlargement.
My Mother's Spools
The outer border on this quilt is a homespun fabric - very dark brown (I know, it looks black, but it isn't) with only slightly lighter stars.

And here are several photos of the first crazy quilt block.  David is worried about how many blocks I plan to make as this one took me almost two months to complete!  I didn't work on it every day, and it took quite a bit of time when I did work on it just to decide what to do next.



Now for  closer looks at some of the areas:



There's a singleton, lost-its-mate earring (oh well, it was a pinchy, clip-on anyway) in the upper right-hand corner.




The Asian Swallowtail complete with Swarovski crystals and beads.


A slightly dizzying shot of the back stitch spider web with silver beads (lower left) and the chevron stitch with button and bead embellishment.

Can you tell I've had some fun?

7 comments:

  1. Love the spools - but that crazy quilt block is spectacular. Bonnie's going to LOVE it. Nice to see the butterfly done. And the ribbon flowers are so beautiful. Are you sure you haven't done them before???

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading Mary Ellen's posting, I need to ask. Did you make those flowers? I assumed they were purchased or found among all your goodies. The square is a triumph. And if it takes another two months to complete the next square, it's well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did make the flowers. Ribbon embroidery is new to me so I'm delighted to read you thought I had purchased them!

      Delete
  3. Another thought about your square, did you ever think to mount it in a shadow box as a stand alone work of art?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crazy block is fabulous! I made one many years ago and that one block was enuf to the the "crazy quilting" out of my system. Very labor intenstive. Your attention to detail really shows,it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, McIrish Annie! Nice to hear from you; do visit again!

      Delete
  5. I have only one comment on the crazy quilt block, my dear, and that is:
    OMG!!!!!

    the hidden spools are very nice too :-)
    Such an overachiever! That's why I love you!!

    ReplyDelete