Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Cottonwoods in the Canyon"


Only a hair's breadth away from completion!  This is what I was going to do on Saturday and didn't, but I did paint on Sunday even though I was holding my breath hoping I was doing the right thing.  If you've been reading the saga of this painting (see February 14th), you might remember that I was torn as to whether or not it was finished.  I knew the trees were missing, but I really liked the pow of color of just the canyon walls.  After many discussions with various people, I realized that I had to have the trees (these were painted using both brush and palatte knife) - the cool green of those in the shade and the green of those in the sun on the floor of the canyon.

To me, this was an essential addition to the composition.  Do you agree? 




5 comments:

  1. yes, Noel. I totally agree that the trees make it "complete" Love it! ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noel: I finally am getting back to checking your blog. A number of entries will have to wait for me to digest after Matthew leaves, BUT this blew me away. It's perfect. I love it. I just showed it to Dave. He said,"It's just superb. Lovely. Good for her." For me, it's your best oil painting yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment means a great deal because it's from someone who knows how to look at and critique paintings. Thank you, Est.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely a knockout! I do not "see" the trees -- so essential for the design -- as being on the canyon floor, rather on another ledge perhaps, high above the actual bottom. For me, it deepens the vertical dimension even as the trees themselves add to the mass of the rear wall. Well done. Davis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have reminded once again to be more careful with language, and you are quite correct in your observation. The trees in the foreground are indeed on a ledge (the "hill" to which I have referred from time to time), and the trees in the sunlight are also on the ledge but lower down. Accurate observation, DAvis. And thank you for that and for your sincere compliment!

      Delete