Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dithering

dith·er

[dith-er] noun
1. a trembling; vibration.
2. a state of flustered excitement or fear.
 
Now if I were asked for the definition of "dither", I would have given a close approximation of one and part of two.  But as I was not in a state even approaching fear today, I would have missed that part.  Anyway, my point is that I dithered about today going from one activity to another without making great inroads on anything.
 
First, I finished the laundry.  I accomplished that even though I decided to felt some wool first.  Do I have plans to use that wool this week?  No.  Had someone asked for some? No.  Did it have any connection to any activity that needed to be completed before we leave for Vermont?  Again, no.  But on the other hand, I did finish the laundry even though it took longer than it should have and kept me from doing other things.
 
Second, every time I had to put drops in my eyes, I got on the computer to pass the time between drop applications (all of 5 minutes).  The procedure takes 15 - 20 minutes depending on how closely I watch the clock.  If I get distracted as I did today, it can take up to an hour.
 
Third, I had promised myself that I would start fairy quilt #2 today.  Did I?  Oh, yes.  Did I make a lot of headway?  Oh, no, I finished only half of the "slides".  You see, I had to iron pillow cases (whatever happened to percale sheets and pillowcases that were always wrinkle-free and smooth?).  Do I usually iron my pillow cases?  No.  Then I had to iron some fat quarters I'm using for a hand-piecing project.  Did that need to be done?  Yes, even though I'd already cut some pieces without ironing, it does go better if the creases are out.  Having done that, of course I had to go and cut out some more blocks for hand-piecing.  Honestly, it's a wonder I finished any of the fairy quilt "slides"!
 
Then I had to make lists of things that needed to be done, or found, or packed.  You'd think I'd never taken this trip before!
 
The amazing point is that even while dithering, I did manage to accomplish some things - just not as much as I might have liked to.  I've decided that it a perk of being retired.  I'm allowed to dither.  So there.
 
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. oh, dithering....I dither. I dither a lot!! Dithering is good.
    Congratulations on your dithering, and enjoy your trip to VT.
    See you soon!! And just think, when I do we can dither together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me as though you got things done that needed to be done. And, when you go to use that wool you'll be happy that you felted it today!

    As Karen said, I dither, too!! In fact, most of the days that I type I dither too much and get very little typing done. Hope that changes when I move the office. And, I also look forward to dithering together - it's always more fun that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, seem to have trouble getting myself together to pack for Vermont. Some excuses are legitimate--others--well did I really need to spend so much time looking at the apartment in Paris that my friend Rochelle has rented? Like my granddaughter, Justine, I seem always to be looking for the next great adventure. I don't think I've ever left for vacation with my house in such disarray. That's o.k. I won't see it for a whole week. Look forward to seeing you in Vermont.

    ReplyDelete