Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fairy Quilt #1, Report

There are several wonderful things about sewing for children, but I'm going to be very selfish and tell you that today I am most pleased that quilts for children are small, usually simple, and - well, childish.  It turns out that I had not made enough "slide blocks" and had to stop putting the quilt together after only four rows.  Here's what it looks like today.  Remember it is minus two rows in length and borders:


Looks quite small, doesn't it?  Fortunately, most children sleep in a twin bed and need a quilt that is more of a blanket than a bedspread (which requires extra length for both the "tuck" under the pillow and the over-the-pillow, too).  It is 41" wide now and will be sixty something long when all the rows are added.  The border which will be the same for both girls is the dark purple fairy fabric's coordinating border. 

It's not particularly eye-catching, but I think the center portion will make it bright and happy.  Having never been to Nebraska in the winter, I think a light, bright  quilt will be appropriate.  Oh well, I've always liked  Cecil Mary Barker's fairies, and they brighten my day!  Childish things  . . .

Tomorrow, back to the cutting board.

P.S. M, I'm sorry there's no photo of the partially missing eyebrow.  All I got when I took the picture was a shot of some hair and the wall behind my head. I still think purple eyeliner would be great!

1 comment:

  1. It's very pretty and I'm sure the girls will love the quilts!!

    ReplyDelete