Monday, August 13, 2012

Fairy Quilt #1 - Finished!

Here is the first fairy quilt, and despite a book of the same name, I've named this quilt "Twilight".  The colors in this quilt were drawn from the dark border and the companion fabrics (seen in six of the blocks on the quilt top proper).  It will be interesting to compare this one with the second quilt which has the same border and some other similarities.  Oh well, we'll see when it's finished.



I am pleased with this one as my mental vision worked out as I had hoped.  The dark border gives the quilt a bit of punch and pulls it together while the top remains bright.  The fish on the loose in "Liquid Assets on the Loose" worked so well that I thought the fairies should fly around also.  While I don't think you can see them very well, there are seven fairies that have escaped their blocks to visit others.  Here are some additional photos:

 
             
I don't know if you can tell, but the thread used to applique the fairies is metallic.  When I asked D what he thought, he said it looked like fairy dust.  Wow, how wonderful a comment was that!  No surprise there; he is astute, but, oh, what a glow that gave me.

Then to finish my day with a different but also special treat; I ate a home grown tomato.  Alas, not one of ours (squirrels and chipmunks take one bite out of and then toss any and all tomatoes we have tried to grow in the last several years).  This tomato came from the garden of Mary Ellen, and it was as sweet and tangy as she.   Thank you, ME!


 

2 comments:

  1. the quilt came out so very pretty! I love that border fabric - and sprinkling the quilt with fairies was a great idea. The girls are going to love their quilts for a very long time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, ditto Mary Ellen. I could not see the border pattern until I magnified the photo;. Love the border; love the quilt. What lucky little girls!

    ReplyDelete