Sunday, August 5, 2012

Friendship Groups

There is something remarkably special about the bond created initially by a shared enthusiasm.  At this time when so many of us are watching the Olympics, that is obvious as we watch the way teammates with a common goal interact.  What we don't always recognize is that the same things happen in our own lives and not just within our families.  Those of us who are lucky enough to participate in a reading group, gardening club, tennis lessons, charitable organizations, or other groups of like-minded people have the opportunity to develop a similar team feeling.  If we want to, if we work a little at the development, we can have a group to whom we can turn when times are great, so-so, or downright dreadful. 

I am fortunate enough to belong to a couple of such groups in various stages of becoming, but the one that met today and last Sunday is the longest lasting and farthest along in the journey.  It is the one that is most significant in my life.  That is because it is a group of people who worked at developing the first threads of liking into friendships and once those friendships were formed, they were so delightful that others were invited to join us.  We aren't a large group, and we are still evolving, but oh, my, it is such a joy to get together!

As I sat this evening musing about today's gathering, I found myself hoping that this will continue even though I understand that lives change.  There may be times when we drift away from our shared pleasures.  However, I also think, that if the link we are forging now is strong enough, we will always return to the group, and it will be as though we had never been apart.  

While I know that men form friendships, theirs seem to be different from those nurtured by women.  After all, their needs and desires are different from ours.  But watching my husband reconnect with people from college days has shown me that that much is the same - friends remain friends at some level even if life has changed the person.   The ties may no longer be as strong, but the memories of shared days and events will always be there to make connection possible. 

I am optimistic about the future of my group of friends.  After all, we are already at a point in life where our characters probably won't change a lot although our circumstances may.  We all realize how important friendships are and how lucky we are to have each other.  We also know that this will take effort to maintain but are willing to do so.

Life is much sweeter when shared with friends who laugh with you.  Thank you, Ladies! 

1 comment:

  1. You put into words what I couldn't last night as I drove home. I feel so blessed to have this group of wonderful women friends. It is something I have craved and never found in my younger days - and to have it at this time in life is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete