Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Road to Good Vision

Here I am after this morning's surgery to remove a cataract.  I was feeling pretty well here and definitely quite happy to have the procedure finished - actually more happy that the promise of better vision is closer to coming true.


Shortly after this photo, I was able to remove the patch (very disappointing - no sense of color or embellishment at all!) and will only have to wear the transparent shield without the underlying bandage at night for a week.

Several things I discovered today.  The procedure is completely pain free and also free from the "yuckiness" that one might anticipate (it is the eye, after all).  But the after effects of tranquilizer and the anesthesia are not pleasant (I recommend chicken noodle soup and crackers to combat the queasiness) but don't last long.  The other and completely unexpected thing is the "gritty" feeling in the eye that is close to being really painful.  Acetaminophen helps yet the constant tearing which causes a constantly runny nose combined with the discomfort of the "grit" is no fun at all.  (There aren't any actual particles of grit in the eye; it merely feels like it.)

Yet when one considers how incredible the whole procedure is now compared to when our grandparents went through their different and far more traumatic version, what I am experiencing is a mere bagatelle.  I simply wish I had known  - which is why I'm passing it along to you.

This will may be it for this week as I do find bright lights (and computer screens) bothersome.  Thank you all for your warm wishes and hopes for my speedy recovery!

1 comment:

  1. Keep using the drops and the sandpaper in the eye feeling will go away. You're bringing back memories from Jerry's surgery. Enjoy this weekend and continue you're great recovery!!

    ReplyDelete