Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 4 of Quilt Camp


You were warned that you would see more chickens in the entries about the Quilt Camp, and here's the one I was talking about.  Sandy (in room 2) made this version of "Square in a Square", a pattern by Marlous, and I do think it's clever, don't you?  Look at the close-up, and I'll bet you'll agree. 
And I also told you there would be another Marrakesh quilt.  Sandy (in room 1) made a single strip wall hanging in browns, if you remember, and now here is Mary's version of the same pattern - only larger.  This is a quilt that will be auctioned for the benefit of the Knights of Columbus, and Mary wanted the quilt to be one that could be used no matter what the color the bidders' rooms might be.  Black and white is about as neutral as you can get and makes a stunning visual statement so it's bound to attract many bids.  The sideways photo was taken that way to avoid irons and bags etc.  However, I thought you really should have an opportunity to view this quilt as straight on as possible so you could get the full effect.  So here are both photos. (Do remember that you can click on any photo to see it in a larger format!)
 


Mary also whipped up this stunner.  The pattern is called Whimsical, and with Mary's collection of Kaafe Fasset fabrics it's just as cheerful as can be.  It's another pattern that I think would work with any collection of fabrics in any color way.  Try to imagine it in the Japanese daiwabo fabrics with a dark background in place of the white.  Or a collection of greens on black . . .  The possibilities abound!





This little beauty by ME is so pretty, and its colors really don't seem to show up very well.  Be sure to click on this one to see it larger.  Again, I'll have to ask her what her block size was because, like Lisa's baskets yesterday, this one is made up of three miniature blacks, and I really haven't a clue what size they are.  ME, tell us in your comment, please!


You will also appreciate knowing that this little wall hanging was taken from ME's UFO pile.  She sewed the set-in triangles during Qlt Camp, and by now I'm sure she has the borders on, too!

 Or maybe not because here is what ME is focusing all her quilting energy on these days.  This block is 10" and will make a variation of Irish Chain that is called something pretty that has nothing to do with chains.  I absolutely love the light batik ME chose (white with the palest of green).  You can't tell in the picture, but the white batik glows as though it were a Fairy Frost fabric, but it isn't.  The looks "like-black-to-me" fabric isn't black.  It's a green so dark it looks like black until you peer closely at it.  Try to imagine this block as it would look surrounded by identical blocks.  Wow!
 

My camera also did not pick up the correct colors of Pam's quilt, but the second photo is a little closer.  This is the second "mystery quilt" present at this Qlt Camp, and as I told you yesterday, I've got to pay more attention to mystery quilts.  This one is quite beautiful even though its color scheme might not appeal to many at first (and I can say that because I would not have snatched it off the shelf after a first glance).  It seemed to be a quilt that is saved by the red fabric. But over the course of the three days, I found the subdued tones of the other colors growing on me.  Plus the pattern is such a winner, and Pam's elegant and accurate work make this a head-turner!
Tomorrow I will finish with the inventory of quilts at the weekend retreat so stay tuned for the final day!

1 comment:

  1. what wonderful memories you're sharing. Makes me almost feel like I'm back at quilt camp. Wish I were - got lots left to do on Lexy's quilt.

    The mini wall hanging blocks are each 3 inches and were made at the Vermont Quilt Festival probably in the early 2000s. Now I wish I had kept notes. For those who don't know - I have a special metal hanger for this quilt. It's a cat - and the tail hangs out the end. Since the hanger is also small, I'm just going to hand quilt this and put a dark purple binding on it. (eventually)

    Lexy's quilt is all batiks. That block which is really four blocks will finish at 17 inches. I need 10 more large blocks, which is really 40 more little blocks - which means I know what I'll be working on in my spare time!!

    And Friday I'm assuming we get to see YOUR masterpiece!!! I just hope everyone who sees it realizes just how much work it took. Not an easy quilt to make by any stretch of the imagination.

    ReplyDelete