Thursday, May 23, 2013

Spring means Rhubarb!

You'll have to forgive me tonight because this will be short and tart.  We just gathered the first stalks of rhubarb, and D is downstairs rinsing them.  I won't be making anything special with this, our first batch, so we can appreciate the solo taste of this spring delight. 
 
Later this season I will try a rhubarb and orange crumble from a cookbook given to me by Nancy, I think.  If not Nancy, then Alice because they are the two who know best what we like to prepare and eat.  I'll be sure to let you know what I think about it.  It sounds far more appetizing to me than muddying the tartness of rhubarb with the soft sweetness of cooked strawberries.  I know many like it, but it never appealed to me - possibly because I'm not a pie fan.
 
Anyway, for some of you, this may seem on the late side for the first harvest of rhubarb, but it's been a busy week.  On top of that, our rhubarb is hidden in the bed behind our lilacs.  You know what they say, "Out of sight, out of mind," and that has been true for me this season.
 
Well, off I dash to cook up a "mess" of rhubarb not tart enough for Est, but just right (I hope) for us!

2 comments:

  1. rhubarb and orange - sounds very interesting. Hum.....let me know when you make it and I just might have to drop in (hee, hee)

    I also don't like strawberry rhubarb pie - I like pie, but I don't really care for soft, mushy, cooked strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be in the minority. I do love a tart strawberry rhubarb pie. I have considered planting something perennial in my vegetable garden (which at the moment contains nothing). I shall have to keep rhubarb in mind. I suspect that the critters probably don't care for it.

    ReplyDelete