Monday, May 6, 2013

Pileated Woodpecker

For years I have watched the Downy, Hairy, and Red Bellied woodpeckers at our feeders with great enjoyment.  I knew from thumbing through bird identification books that was another, larger woodpecker but never saw it. 

A couple of years ago, our next door neighbor called me over to his front yard to see a huge hole and pile of wood chips at the base of a tree.  I couldn't imagine what could make such killer hole without an auger.  That was when I decided I had to see a pileated woodpecker for myself. 


For two years in a row, I caught glimpses of this very large (17 inches) bird with quite a formidable beak from a distance.  Never was I able to get a picture of it because of the distance and the fact that he doesn't stay still for more than a moment at a time.  Being so conspicuous, he must have to move constantly to avoid predators. 
 
This year, he is surely making himself very unpopular in this area  

 

because his pecking is incredibly loud - especially when he tries his beak on metal or roofs or chimneys or our neighbors gas grill.  Wonder if insurance covers that sort of damage?  Just imagine the call.
 
"I'd like to report extensive damage to my gas grill."
 
"Okay, sir, what is the exact nature of that damage?"
 
"A bird has made holes in it."
 
"Do you mean the grill has holes caused by bird shot?"
 
"No, I mean a bird has made the holes."
 
"How could a bird make holes in your grill, sir?"  Barely audible whisper, "Get the supervisor.  I've got another kook on the line." 
 
It could only go down hill from there, and I'll leave the ending up to your imagination.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bird !! I thought wood pecker's only feasted on dead trees. Maybe he's doing everyone a service by saying - hey, this tree isn't in the best of shape and you should take care of it!! As for the gas grill, maybe if T would leave a dead bird (chicken will do) on it, the woodpecker would get the idea. As for the insurance company employees, if they've been around a while, they probably heard that story before!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the photos of Mr. Woodpecker!! They are amazing creatures aren't they??
    Tyler and I love to watch (but not hear the racket) of the Pileated that lives in the yard (actually the woods behind the house) when he is "doing his thing". Beautiful in all his destructiveness :-)

    Your nature musings make me want to get out there and play in the beauty of the world around us. We are so lucky to live in the northeast!

    ReplyDelete