Thursday, May 16, 2013

Final Day of Quilt Camp News

Mary sent me a note that included the correct name of the pattern used for the quilt below.
 
I had mistakenly called the pattern "Whimsical", but it's real name is "Wistful".  After looking again at Mary's version, I can understand why I made that mistake.  Can you?
 
And another mistake was in the measurement I gave for ME's quilt block which I said was 10".  Lucky woman, the block finishes at 17".  Unfortunately I forgot to ask her what the name of the quilt is.  Sigh.  Maybe she'll mention it in her comment tomorrow.

 
The final quilt to mention is my own.  This is the Farmer's Wife quilt about which I have bored you off and on again for - well, it's been a long time.  For those of you who have made any portion of this quilt, you understand that it is challenging in many ways.  I haven't made it any easier for myself by not sewing on the set-in triangles as I sewed the strips.  There's a simple reason; I didn't have fabric for those triangles until I found some at Joyful Quilter over the weekend.  By then, I just wanted to sew. 

 
It's a good thing I didn't add them because here's how the quilt looks on our bed:
 
There is enough to drape over the pillows, but we do not use our quilts in this manner.  Instead we prefer the coverlet approach where the quilt is just covered by the pillows (only a minimal border at the head of the bed) and hangs down on all sides to below the bed rails.  Then the extra pillows wear  shams made with fabric or blocks that coordinate with the quilt.  I will need to "unsew" three rows!  For the setting I now have in mind, the extra rows will be used in the border.  All is well.  It's just more work.
 
Why am I not surprised?

4 comments:

  1. Love Love, Love your quilt; it is amazing in your bed. its unit is wonderful. It is such pleasure looking to all you lovely work Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary's quilt is so darned bright and happy - I've just got to make one for my niece, April. Thankfully, she doesn't graduate high school for another two years. I have time.

    My quilt is "A Little Romance" which can be found in the book "Simple Quilts that Look Like a Million Bucks" by Nicole C. Chambers. Not hard at all - just doesn't get finished overnight (what's up with that anyway??

    Noel - I've never been upstairs in your house - and who did the quilt above your bed?? Unsewing is a lot of work - but there's no rush on this quilt and it's going to be absolutely spectacular when you're done!!

    It's been fun this week reliving quilt camp! Thanks for all the great photos and wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel, can't believe I missed a few days to find all these remarkable quilts by you and your colleagues. An extremely creative, productive group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Noel. I decided to stop by your blog tonight to see what you've been up to. I'm so glad I did because I got all excited when I saw your Farmer's Wife quilt! I've been working on mine and am determined to get it done by the end of the summer! I have many blocks now, probably 60 give or take. Speaking of challenges the blocks are not all the same size. Did you run into that with yours? If so how did you handle it? Would you mind me contacting you if I run into any problems with the next step?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete