Monday, May 13, 2013

More Quilt Camp Photographs

I can't believe I covered only 3 quilters in yesterday's blog!  Oh well, today I won't have to give you a lot of explanation about the weekend and/or my plans for these entries so I'll be able to add another quilter in this entry.

It did my heart good to see Joan again; I think it was a year ago when ME and I first met her.  This time she was working on an English paper piecing project.  It is the currently very popular hexagons, and the diamonds Joan stitched at the bottom really make this quite a special piece.  In the second photograph the colors are truer.  Joan has been working on this in odd moments for about a month.















You may remember that I mentioned Maria yesterday.  She's the one who made that awesome label for Patricia.  She is working on a machine applique piece called "Sweet Liberty", and I really hope I have that name right.  This wall hanging is constructed in several pieces and put together at the end.  Maria, please bring the finished work to the September gathering.  I know there will be several current campers who will want to see the finished piece.  Don't you love the cake?


Maria also introduced me to a fusible product on which you can print your applique shapes, cut them out, and then fuse them on your chosen fabric. Terrific idea for those of us who also enjoy machine applique. 

The wall hanging at the left in these warm shades of brown was made by Sandy, and I think it was one of three projects she had going over the weekend. 
 
The pattern's name is Marrakesh, and you will see another example of it in a later entry.  What I find so interesting is that because of the reversal of colors, the squares seem to be of different sizes, but they're not.  This pattern has an optical illusion built in, and I think it is also one suitable for those who prefer a more contemporary look in their quilts.
 
Sandy also made the wall hanging below which was a mystery quilt.  I don't usually see many mystery quilts, and I've never done one myself, but two people brought mystery projects to finish up over the weekend.  Again, you'll see a second one later, and you will appreciate what a wide range there can be in mystery quilts.  I forgot to ask Sandy if she had an opportunity to see the fabrics before she decided to take on this wall hanging. 
Now on to the quilters in the second room.  That room, while the same size as the first, seems a bit larger.  It has more available work area because there is no kitchen so nine people worked in there quite comfortably. 

Pat is the undisputed queen of charity quilts.  She explained that she has gifted everyone in her family several times over so she turned her focus to charity.  It's a wonderful way to be able to continue to make quilts!  This one really caught my attention because the fabric in the center was new to me.  Pat says it's not new so I guess I had just missed it.  But isn't this terrific?
I love the reversed churn dashes that frame the New York State fabric; it's a good design idea and perfect for setting a cheerful mood.  Whoever receives this one will have a lift to their spirits as well as a good time looking at each block to see all the different NYS sites featured.

Pat is also known for turning out several works in a short amount of time.  Here's another bold, graphic quilt in progress:
In addition to working on her own projects, Pat helped me more than once figure out the layout of my "on point" quilt; the upside down chicken was not her fault!

1 comment:

  1. Well, one thing I have certainly learned from day #2 photos -- I did not take enough excursions into the other room and I certainly did not socialize anywhere near enough. I hadn't realized that Joan's only been working on the hexagon project for a month! I think I see a Marrakesh in my future - not until the end of the year cause of wedding quilts - but it sure does make pretty quilts! And Pat - she sure is the queen of the charity quilt! Thank God for people like her. I want to be more like her when I grow up!!!

    ReplyDelete