Sunday, May 19, 2013

New Adventure Unfolding

This will be an entry to rest your eyes as I have no photographs today and only a few comments.  I seem to be a bit tired after a busy weekend with a garage sale (I did better than I anticipated),  daughter and grandson, and then with my special "Soul Sisters" today.  Feeling tired after such a weekend is a good thing!
 
I have realized that my planned large painting is going to have to be placed on hold until after I've actually moved into my new studio.  When I figured that out, I was disappointed as I was really looking forward to going forward with a project I'd hoped to do for some time.  However, practicality reared its ugly head and I had to capitulate (pun intended).
 
You see, oil paintings no matter what size take a long time to dry.  Sometimes paintings like this 24" x 48" one take up what seems to be more than their fair share of room.  Now think about what might happen to that large, wet painting as it sits on an easel in a room through which workmen have to pass in order to get to the construction space.  Imagine how the workmen might feel every time it got knocked to the carpeted floor.  Imagine how I might feel every time I tried to clean up said carpet while looking at a smudged mess of a canvas.  Imagine the gallons of Windex I'd have to use!  If you don't quite understand that last comment, check out my Wednesday, February 13, 2013, entry "A Funny Thing Happened When ..."
 
Instead of the planned work, I made the decision that now would be the perfect time to attempt to use water colors and overcome my fear and trepidation of that fluid medium.  Last week I spent the studio time with my instructor/guru/friend learning about water color paints, brushes, and paper.  Then I played around with those items until the end of class.  Tomorrow I will play some more before Tuesday's class and then maybe next week, I'll be able to carve out still more time to practice with these paints. 

At least I have Sharon to help me and look at how she's moved me from my first paintings to what I'm doing now!  I'm in good hands.

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought about workmen knocking over the painting and the gallons of Windex you'd need. But what I thought about was dust. Good ole sheetrock dusts gets through everything! So, it's a great time to start water colors. Who knows - you may enjoy it more than the oil paints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such grace: to bow to practicality with a pun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the world of water colors. I have no doubt that once you put your mind to it, you'll succeed beautifully, just like everything else you touch.

    ReplyDelete