Monday, August 26, 2013

Construction Day 1 and Quilt Success

Yes, the demolition began today - despite the rain!  Of course, it didn't rain as hard as it is right now during the day, but I was still amazed at how much they were able to get done.  Let me tell you, those men work, and there's no doubt in my mind that they sleep well at night.  Well, maybe with the exception of the man who has a 2-month-old little boy . . .

So here's what it looked like when I arrived home at noon.  Note the siding is gone from the garage, and the


shingles were already off the back side of the garage.  Here they were beginning to the same to the front side.


Next photo shows that the roof itself is gone.  The two photographs below show the garage from the side.  It has the look of the House of the Seven Gables, doesn't it?  Well, except that house is historic and does have a roof!  Later in the afternoon, I had occasion to go into the  garage from the house, 

 and my first thought was, "Oh dear, they left the light on!"  Then I realized - there was no roof!  So all that light was coming from outdoors.  Silly me.

The reason that I was actually away from home this first day of excitement was I had to pick up D's quilt. After I admired the work being done and took some photos, I scurried in the house with my large bundle which I immediately took upstairs.  Slipped the quilt out of its protective bag, I shook it out as best I could (it is large) and then spread it on the bed.  The shams were next.  Not quilted as I told you but at least a presence on the bed.  Finally, I was ready and called D.  How I wish I had a video camera - rather, how I wish I had had the presence of mind to have my phone!  But all I had was a camera - an hour later!



He was speechless!  He was WOWed!  He couldn't get enough of it.  It really took him a while to see the separate elements and each discovery made him beam even more.  So when I flipped one side over so he could read the label, well . . .  It was all I had hoped for and more.

3 comments:

  1. Now you need to fill the teapot and let steep The Elegant Gathering of White Snows. This quilt is peacefully elegant and mindful of yours and David's times. You are growing into the yonder realm so gracefully and silently joyous.
    The construction...Wahoo let the walls fall down and rise again to surround you with the desires you have longed for through life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house does look a little scary with no roof and just the sides of the building - without siding. The window's out, too. It's great to see it started.

    KG did an excellent job on the quilting - as usual. That's one LARGE and spectacular quilt. The shams came out really pretty and look like they belong!! Great job on surprising the dear husband! It's always nice to have them enjoy what we do and appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This entire entry just makes me beam with joy! Congrats on the start of construction!! I can not wait to see what you create once you have your very own studio. You so deserve this my dear!!
    As for David's quilt- it is fabulous and I have no doubt that he was beaming with joy and pride. A relationship to cherish, and I know you both do each and every day!

    ReplyDelete