Thursday, August 8, 2013

Meet Mr. Huge Behemoth - our Furnace

I wish I had a photograph of the furnace that was in this house when we bought it.  Not a photo of my father-in-law's furnace that was considerably older than ours but the one that was new when we moved in.  Even in that relatively short period of time there has been such a change.  

First of all, we have had oil heat all these years, but D and I simply were fed up with sending all that money to the Middle East.  So we switched to gas in an effort to keep some money in this country - and in our own pockets, as well.  I don't know if the type of fuel has a lot to do with the size of the furnace, but oh my.  This puppy is streamlined.

When we decided to put a room over the garage, we were advised to put the furnace in the middle of the basement for a more efficient use of energy.  While I understood that, I wasn't any too happy about having a hulking behemoth in the middle of the floor!  I imagined myself tiptoeing past while holding my breath, my tummy in, my elbows tight to my sides, and anything I was carrying balanced precariously on my head - all just to get around the FURNACE. 

Hah!  Meet Mr. H. Behemoth and some of his duct work:


Speaking of carrying things on the head?  It is Mr. B who is doing that; he has both an air conditioner and a humidifier on his head (I cut one off in this photo - sorry).  He is clearly very strong and quite sleek.

I may be in love.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking for Mr. H. B., let me just say that the torch has been passed to a new generation of heaters, born in this century, tempered by new duck work, and disciplined by hard and bitter winters. This is not your father’s Cadillac nor your father-in-law’s furnace, and, yes, thank you for noticing that size does not matter. Feel the love on the first, crisp fall morning.

    Sorry, couldn’t resist the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to love gas heat! No stinky oil and, as you said, no more contributions to the middle east to heat your home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how is Mr. Huge Behemoth going so far? I hope you've proved it's wise to switch from oil to gas. The latter seemed to have a lot of great benefits for your pocket, but hopefully that doesn't mean you are sacrificing the functionality. Have a good day!

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing

    ReplyDelete