Monday, August 19, 2013

Unexpected Bonus

One day recently, I was wandering around in the backyard when it suddenly occurred to me that I should set up a painting station right there.  In the backyard.  And paint.  I had been standing looking at the garden trying to count the number of different greens:


Then I looked a little closer and thought, "Hey, there are lots of colors out here and different things like rocks and birdhouses and trellises and . . . ."


Hidden beauty in a non-manicured garden.  Sound like the title of a painting?  Well, maybe not, but I really thought that maybe one of these days when I have the time, that's what I'll do.  Then I went back in the house to do whatever I thought I should be doing.  Like laundry maybe.

Anyway, at some point I went into the family room to put something away and, as usual, glanced out the window.


There on the bird feeder (no, it's not you, it is crooked) making the statement in no uncertain terms was one of the cardinals calmly sitting there trying to get my attention.  His presence put the coda on the symphony of color.


This photo was taken quickly through the window (with a branch in front of it).  Can you see what I mean?  Ignore the unattractive bird feeder and try to imagine the cardinal on some branch out there.  All those lush greens with splashes of oranges, yellows and thanks to our obliging visitor, the necessary red.

It wouldn't be easy, but it might be worth the try!  I will challenge myself to do something with this garden - not weeding, but something "painterly".

By the way, I recently discovered that when a cardinal's crest is down flat against his head, he is calm.  When it is raised like a flag, he is agitated.  The one in the photo above was quite happy to perch quietly for some time.  This morning there was a cat in the backyard.  After it left, a cardinal flew down to the bird feeder, crest high, and bounced back and forth among the four perches at the top of the feeder.  His head  was moving back and forth checking everything out with his crest up the entire time.  He didn't stay long, but he clearly wasn't happy about a cat in his territory.


2 comments:

  1. By all means, drop everything and paint. It's always a wonder to find beauty so close at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any of these would make a great painting. I don't think your bird feeder is ugly at all. It's a great party hang out for the birds -- and cardinals have always been my favorite!

    ReplyDelete