Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Queries for Self and for Readers

Well, naturally Sharon had very helpful critique of both paintings, and someday I may show you what I needed to do.

Now here's the question for myself.  Why do I think that a painting is finished when I know that there is always something that can be improved?  Why do I inflict them on you knowing they aren't really ready?

And here's a question for you.  Do you mind?  Also, do you mind seeing the various versions of my "finished" paintings?

I hope not because it does help me to write about all of this, but it would make that writing easier if I knew that it doesn't make you throw up your hands in disgust.

Ah well, I shall continue, and maybe tomorrow or the next day I will show you the results of today's discussion.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should read yesterday's blog for my comments on showing us works in progress. I'm a big fan of that.

    As for you not feeling that any work is completely done - if you look hard enough, everything can use another touch of this or that. Life is too short to work on only one or two things.

    And I'm too tired right now to comment further. It's way past time for bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this blog after writing my comments to yesterday's posting. Do read it. I have to say in all of my years of lessons with Christina, only once did she given me a thumbs up. Maybe that's the role of the teacher to point out what could still be done. As my colleagues in art class point out they don't react to all of the criticism, but pick and choose where they feel the need. You sound down. Don't let it get to you. Dave does not give a "Wow" frequently, but he definitely did for your two paintings. Take heart! You really have grown. I think you might even have found your painting medium.

    ReplyDelete