Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Merganser Trio

Common Mergansers are ducks, and the females have a white breast, gray body, and a russet head with a crest of feathers at the back.  Their beaks and feet are a similar russet. They are quite common at the lake to which we go every year, and we've grown very fond of them.  They fish in the shallows so we see them and their young quite clearly.  That also means I've taken lots of photographs of them.  One photo in particular of three adolescents tickled me so much that I decided to paint them.


Here they are on a nearby rock.  Again, it is a work in progress, but I thought you might enjoy seeing this intermediate stage.  I worked on this piece and the Peppers today, but neither are finished so don't be surprised to see changes (in this one it will include eyes!) the next time you see them.

2 comments:

  1. Noel: What do you mean this is not finished? It's a masterpiece. I love it. Congratulations on a first rate water color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is definitely not the ducks I expected to see. These are quite pretty. (I don't know why, but I was thinking yellow rubber ducky!)

    ReplyDelete