Monday, August 12, 2013

Peppers and Merganser Paintings - again

Today was one of those days when I found myself painting most of the day.  First I worked on the last few Tokonoma scrolls for D and finally had fifteen for him to take to his bonsai meeting for approval.  In case I didn't explain before, a Tokonoma is like a stage.  It has a "ceiling", a floor, a back, and two open sides.  Its purpose is to showcase a bonsai specimen and can be small enough to place on a stand in one's home or large enough to be room side (a small room - maybe more the size of a roomy alcove).  Very few items go in the Tokonoma other than the bonsai, but some companion pieces that work with the display to showcase the plant to its best advantage are acceptable.  For that reason, a scroll hanging on the back wall of the "stage" can help set the mood.  The scroll can reflect the season, something in nature, or calligraphy.  

The scrolls I have been making (you saw three of them yesterday unwisely photographed on white paper!) are 9 1/2" x 1 3/4".  Not an easy size for a composition, but the ones you saw in yesterday's entry were two cliff-with-tree scenes and a waterfall scene in between those two which worked all right with the required size.  D is off to the meeting and will return with news as to the acceptability or not of the 15 I sent and whether more are needed.  

Anyway, once that was "off my plate", the two watercolors I've been working on called to me.  So here are the peppers again - on their plate (!), and the platter they are on is actually fluted on both ends now!


Of course, I can see all sorts of problems, but I am happy with the background (remember the ghastly first wash of red and green?) as it is now.  The peppers now have more recognizable pepper shape, I hope.  ME, if I'm wrong, you'd better let me know!  However, I'm not happy with the fluting on the right; it's too sharp (the fact that it's not the same as the left side doesn't bother me).  And I didn't handle the wash on that side of the platter very well, either.  I'll probably need to lift some of that tomorrow in class, if I can.  Finally (I hope), the highlights on the purple pepper aren't satisfactory so there's something else to work on.

But, the mergansers have eyes!


We'll see what Sharon says about these two watercolors tomorrow, but I think the water in the Merganser Trio needs some attention before I'll be satisfied with it.  And the peppers?  Well, I'll let you know.


2 comments:

  1. Let's see. I'm really liking the way the peppers are turning out. And the ducks are neat.

    So the T-rolls are what that photo was of. Glad you explained that one cause I would NOT have figured it out.

    Now, I must again say - I am not an artist. I am very lucky if I can draw a stick figure that is acceptable. I can do a tree - and maybe a house as long as it's simple and you let me use a ruler. I truly enjoy seeing the same painting and drawing as it goes from beginning to end. It helps me understand the artist's creative process. You see a lot of things that my brain doesn't pick up on.

    My personal opinion is keep showing me the paintings step by step. I am not bored. In fact, far from it. I find it interesting how much of a difference some of your little changes make in the total look of the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both Dave and I did a "WOW" when we saw your two paintings. I remember the first pepper painting as having no punch. This one has found the right balance. The peppers reflective qualities stand out, and the background heightens the entire impact. Congratulations. If that was your glazing attempt, I would like to share your secrets. The mergansers continue to excite me. The rocks have a real water color transparency. I agree that something needs to be done with the water to bring to perfection this marvelous painting.

    As ME says, watching the process unfold is fun. How about sharing Sharon's critique? I would love to know her reaction.

    ReplyDelete