Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Construction Day 3

What excitement for us today!  Since it's late (I taught a class today from 3 - 6 which meant I was gone from 2 - 7 p.m.) and I'm tired, this will be more photo-journal than journal.  Besides, ME told me that if I didn't show pictures of the construction, she would stalk me, and she meant it!

Here you are:


 First the lumber was delivered.  It came in the morning but was expected in the afternoon so it wouldn't be in the way of the steel beam.  Oh well, things happen.  I was fascinated with this fork lift; the prong parts attach to a large flatbed truck, it gets secured in some additional manner, and then it simply rolls after the truck like a trailer!  Who knew?

Oh, the lumber looked great, too.

Then came the really intriguing part, the delivery of the steel beam.  This too was amazing to watch.  Each delivery was made by one man who drove the main truck, operated all equipment, off loaded the materials, and even wrote out the invoices!  All I could do was watch in bemusement as technology handled so much of what was done today.  Remote controls aren't just for Pacman any more!  Pac . . . who?

The next picture shows the beam as it is swung out over the roofless garage.  There are several shots of the men getting it in place very quickly, but I didn't want to tire you out too early in this project so I spared you those.  The beam will support the front end of the new room.  That's a good thing because I really don't want to wind up on the garage floor some day! 





The men who are working on this job just keep on going.  When I returned, this is what I saw.  All the floor supports are in place!  The planks you see here run from the back of the garage to the steel beam.  As you look at the photo, you can see the door from the garage into the house, and if you look at the space between the planks closest to you and on the door side, you can just see the window that is on the second floor.  That window will be taken out to make room for the new doorway that will lead into my studio.  Everyday there is progress made!


1 comment:

  1. What fun to watch! And, yes, a steel beam is a good idea cause that sudden drop into the garage wouldn't be fun - especially knowing the cars in there probably won't look the same when they're finally removed from the garage - and walking everywhere is too much effort!

    Thanks for the photos. You're safe for today! Stalking is now off my list of things I have to do. We'll see about tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete