Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Day in the Life of . . .

The studio is tidy enough for me to be able to go in there and actually be able to sew or paint.  I am proud to be able to say that because it was accomplished without adding to confusion or creating mayhem any where else in the house!  Today I spent the afternoon working on cutting out pieces for a serial quilt in the current McCall's magazine.  Not what I should have been working on, but I salved my conscience by telling myself I needed a bit of play time.

You see, I had company on Saturday - very special company.  My Sisterhood met here and oh, what fun we had.  We talked and laughed.  We shared some insights and foolishness.  We toasted (thanks again P.C.!) the studio and ate birthday cake (in honor of ME).  It was lovely time.

After everyone had left and D was back home, I started the clean up.  I piled hand-wash-only plates next to the sink, but decided I should empty the dishwasher before I started washing dishes because the utensils would need to be put in the machine.  I took out the Portmeirion cereal bowls, opened the cupboard, stacked them in their spot, turned to get more dishes to put away when - 
CRASH! 
I whirled around and found all four of the bowls had fallen out of the cabinet directly on to the plates.  

Three out of four Portmeirion bowls broke and three out of five antique, green Majolica plates shattered. Six pieces - three probably irreplaceable gone in a moment.

Whew, that is a record for me.  I don't think I've broken that many items in one fell swoop in my life!  I know I haven't had to sweep up and throw away that much loveliness.

But upon reflection?  I went on line and found a great buy on six second hand bowls in the Portmeirion botanical pattern which I snapped up.  Now if you and your friends come to my house and want triple scoops of ice cream, you may all get a bowl!  Though if too many of you come, some of you will have to hold  it in your hands.  

There are two green Majolica plates left, and I still have other dessert plates.  Again if you come to visit, you'll still be able to have a serving of apple pie or coconut cake.

And I have a studio in which to spend some quiet time playing with lovely fabrics today and paint in tomorrow.


4 comments:

  1. oh, Noel !!! That is really sad about the bowls breaking and the plates joining in. I'm happy you were able to replace the bowls -- but what a heart breaker! I had a wonderful time Saturday - and as soon as I get a copy of that magazine, I'll start making stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my heart just stopped. I am so saaad!!
    I love those majolica plates and am sad that only 2 survived. But then on the other hand...2 survived. And you found bowls...so I shall take three deep breaths and then just remember the joy of the day for us all :-)
    I have been waiting on my magazine, but alas. I think my subscription may have expired?? Not that I need a new project or anything, lol.
    Once again, Saturday was lovely. Your studio fitting of your talent and your friendship a treasure.
    Now I shall go peek at my own begonia leaf plate and sigh once again....
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know just how you must feel. When I lost almost every platter I owned (many with deep histories) after the boxed they were packed in slipped from my hands, I was totally crushed. To this day I still look at my hutch imagining them sitting on the shelves they occupied for so long. But the day-to-day sadness will pass, and you will go on to find new things to admire and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just how you must feel. When I lost almost every platter I owned (many with deep histories) after the boxed they were packed in slipped from my hands, I was totally crushed. To this day I still look at my hutch imagining them sitting on the shelves they occupied for so long. But the day-to-day sadness will pass, and you will go on to find new things to admire and love.

    ReplyDelete