Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dining Room Table

We actually remembered to vote today - well, to be honest we both forgot because I didn't write it on the calendar when D reminded me about it earlier this week.  The only thing that saved the voting part of the day was that D had an appointment at a local school this morning.  So when he came home he didn't let either of us get distracted and hustled us out to our local school.  Naturally, I had to go through all that hoo-hah to get my middle initial corrected in this venue.  I actually thought that getting it changed for state and federal elections would do it.  Silly me.  Oh well, it should be changed on everything by now.  I hope.

We returned home and had lunch which included the usual fresh vegetables and fruit.  That made me realize that the compost bucket was very full and since it was a warm day I could take it out.  Out I went glorying in the sun and the birds and the fresh air swinging my hands back and forth as one does when one is feeling good.  I dumped the bag (which I had taken out of the bucket as soon as I got outside) in the compost heap and that's when I noticed that my left leg was a bit damp. 

"What on earth?" I thought.  "It's probably just a breath of cool air," I continued, but just to be sure, I glanced down.  And yes, all that happy swinging of the arms?  The compost bag had broken and I was wearing a good portion of its contents.  Feeling more than a little chagrined, I walked back to the house and once inside discovered, oh joy, oh rapture, I had gotten my winter jacket bespangled with compostery also! Mind you, the pants were clean this morning, and it was only the second day this year that I had worn my winter jacket.  And, I did the laundry yesterday.

Oh well, I scrounged around and found enough dirty clothes to make a small load of laundry feasible.  

All this nattering, and I had planned to tell you about my big achievement of the day (I suppose the fact that I didn't fall into the compost bin could count as a big achievement!).  Anyway, I am including this photo so my friends who have never seen this room in this state won't be too shocked when next they come to visit.


Yes, friends, there actually is a table in our dining room!  I finished moving all the sewing impedimenta upstairs today, and we will be able to have our Thanksgiving dinner in the dining room this year!  There are some additional red and white linens on that far chair, but one is the table cloth we will use and the others will be hung on the ladders in due course.  

How's that for a good day?

3 comments:

  1. It's phrases like "bespangled with compostery" that make your journal entrees anything but mundane, even to a casual or frequently disinterested reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW -- there really was a table and, who knew, chairs that people can actually sit in. But where's the ambiance of the ironing board? I suppose that has found a new home, too!!

    Enjoy Thanksgiving in that room!! Oh, and I'm very glad that the next time I see you, you won't be wearing the new perfume from the compost pile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it! Managed to get to the bottom of the heap in time for Thanksgiving. I always did love your dining room and am glad that you have been able to reclaim it. It don't recognize the picture of the wall. You'll have to tell me about that some time.

    ReplyDelete