Sunday, November 3, 2013

Bits and Pieces

It seems as though I have talked about the construction that was done here for quite some time, and I have laid my lack of creative work at the door/s of the construction sites.  Both statements are true because construction takes longer than one anticipates and because it also interferes with the normal ebb and flow of usual activities.

What I realized today is that it isn't true that I have done nothing.  It may seem like it to me, but I have begun a redwork Block of the Month which I plan to combine with a traditionally pieced basket and applique BoM.  The first embroidery block is almost finished:


There is one more flower and the ribbon on the handle of the basket yet to add.  So far I have used three different reds, one in perle cotton for the basket and the other two (one of which appears almost orange in contrast with the deep reds) in embroidery floss for the leaves and flowers.  I'm stalling a bit on the ribbon because I haven't decided whether I will do it in satin stitch or use silk ribbon.  From a design point of view, I like the idea of ribbon which will add both texture and a three-dimensional look.  However, from a more practical point of view, I may opt for the satin stitch.  What do you think?

The other project on which I have been working is a Carpenter's Star wall hanging.  This one I started in the summer to have ready as this year's project with my hand-piecing club.  Although I've managed to keep the various parts of this project together since late spring when I chose my fabrics, from time to time I've misplaced the bag holding it all.  Every time I've had to move things from one room to the next (a frequent occurrence) something important invariably hid itself.  In short, I haven't completed as much as I would have liked, but here's what I have done:


Don't even ask how many more stars I need to sew!  

Surprisingly, looking at these bits and pieces of work makes me feel good, and I don't mind the fact that each project is far short of completion. Instead these two pictures show me that combined with the paintings I've done, this summer has not been a creative wasteland.  

So if you are lamenting not being as far along in your projects, whatever they may be, take a moment to reflect.  Count what you have done, count the minutes you've spent planning what you will do when you have the time and realize the amount of creative energy that has already gotten you closer to your goals, and enjoy each moment that you have time to do things you love.  

After all, bits and pieces add up eventually to finished works!

2 comments:

  1. My very favorite WWer leader had a saying - Slow and steady wins the race. It's not a race to finish projects, but when you work on them a bit at a time - overtime you really do accomplish a lot. Both of these projects are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just one word! Stunning!!! But then I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete