Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Studio and Kitchen

The targets for my energy were rather evenly divided between studio and kitchen today. Working from the end of the day to the beginning, I've just returned home from a nice time spent at MW's lovely, welcoming home.  It wasn't the sort of evening I generally look forward to, but this one I did.  MW was the hostess of a Pampered Chef party, and I was eager to pick up a few items for my kitchen.  Naturally, I expected to find both the odd kitchen gadget or two ( I do like gadgets!) that would have to go home with me and the conversation of like-minded people.  Well, the conversation was delightful (several of the women were teachers, others were quilters, and all were interested in cooking) and there were some ladies I knew from quilting.  What I hadn't expected was to find something I'd been looking for for some time now.  I found a big soup pot!  It's soup weather, and now I can make something warm and comforting in a pot that is big enough.  It will be a treasure.  I also found something for D's Christmas stocking that he will find useful.  That's another treasure.

My studio time at home was spent primarily in continuing the de-quilting of the dining room.  Having Thanksgiving dinner in there this year is looking more and more possible.  Of course, my studio is all at sixes and sevens again after being gratifyingly organized last Friday, but that will get sorted out sooner or later. There isn't much more to do in the dining room, and for a smallish room, it's amazing how much larger it looks now!

Finally, since it's Tuesday, I spent my morning at my studio class, and completed the work on West Whately Woods #2.  Here it is with the piano obligingly acting as a frame:

While I did say I would show you both of them so you could compare the two, I'll save that for a later blog entry.  After the last time I showed it, my sister-in-law voiced a critique that was absolutely spot on, and it has made my fingers itch to get back into that painting and correct the issue (I made sure I didn't make that mistake again in this version!).  My plan is to work a bit on WWW #1 and then show both and discuss their differences.  

For now, I will say that I like this one well enough to consider framing it.

2 comments:

  1. feel free to gift it to me without a frame! (is that a major hint or what?) You know those colors will looks perfect with the quilt we got some batik go withs to replace things from my stash that weren't perfect! Feel free to sigh and say - she NEVER quits, does she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noel: Lovely. Your colors are clean, the greens of the under story giving even more punch to the brilliantly colored leaves. I also like that you carried over the flaming leaves above into the base of the tree bringing those colors into three of the four sections of the painting--something I was told to do a long time ago and don't always remember.

    ReplyDelete