Monday, November 4, 2013

Election Day

Tomorrow is election day.  That means that some of my siblings and in-laws as well as D will be getting up far too early to go to work at the polls until far too late.  I like thinking about why they and so many others all across the US do that and it certainly isn't for the paltry stipend they receive.  Like me, they believe in free elections and the perquisites that come with them as well as the responsibilities.  Like voting. 

I'm sure I've told you this before, but just in case I'll say it again.  In the early days of my teaching career, one of my students asked me why it was so important to vote.  I responded with the usual come back about the responsibilities and rights of citizens until I saw that it wasn't having any impression.  So I finally said, "If I don't vote, I can't complain."  It was not the best answer and probably not even a good answer, but it satisfied that particular student.  It made sense to a young mind, and I've been known to use that answer more than once since then.  

If we exert ourselves to go to the polls and cast our ballot, we have the right to complain about the job that is being done.  We cast our ballot in the belief that those elected will do as we want them to do.  Obviously, that can't be done very often (no one I've ever voted for has come to my door with a huge check for all the taxes I've ever paid!).  We want them to consider us as a whole and do what they promised us they would do.  If they don't, we have the right to call them on not upholding their end of our bargain.  But, you understand that as some young students can't.

So tomorrow morning I will vote and I will take with me the very large pan of apple crisp I made for the election workers, the "unsung heroes" that facilitate the voting process, as my "thank you" to them.  

1 comment:

  1. I've been waiting to vote for a while now -- and it hadn't occurred to me that TODAY is the day until I read this. I'll be stopping in before crazy quilting. See ya later

    ReplyDelete