Sunday, November 17, 2013

Quilt as Canvas

First things first, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to SMcG and may this coming year be full of joy!

While organization is still one of my first priorities on a daily basis, I have managed to sew a bit, also.  The most important Christmas project received attention first, but then my mind wandered (such a surprise!). While I have been going through my quilt fabric, supplies, and books, one older project rose to the surface and started calling my name.  So I worked on it.


This a project that I think of as a canvas, and here's why.  What you are seeing is merely a background for the images that I am going to applique over it and was inspired by a pattern and the sample made from it that hung in a quilt store several years ago (and, yes, my project is as old).  Some of you can probably date this piece by the fabric you see in it!  

The pattern was one of a series of four seasons (I can't remember if all seasons were included in one pattern or if one needed to purchase four patterns), and the pattern for fall made a small, square table mat/wall hanging with possibly a nine patch in the center. Then there was a border and in each corner were pumpkins.  My memory is vague and I haven't dug out the pattern to check because I don't want to be influenced by it any further.  I do remember looking at the sample with admiration over how effective a simple pattern can be and then having my brain immediately go to work on ways to complicate it.

So here it is, not ironed, pinned to a wall hanging in my family room waiting for me to draft the pattern. It's giving us more pleasure than one would expect from a blank canvas.

How would you complete the "painting" on this canvas?




2 comments:

  1. I don't remember this at Flying Geese at all. It will be interesting to see what you do with it. Meanwhile, what I'd do? Quilt it and take a nap - ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, my response to the blank canvas is much like Mary Ellen's. I find the colors so dazzling and beautiful that I find it difficult to imagine anything else obscuring all those brilliant complementary and contrasting colors. It will be a challenge, but then you never did shy away from a challenge.

    ReplyDelete