Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Cutting Table/Ironing Board

This morning I was able to spend some time in my studio sorting fabric.  It made me think of David Taylor who spoke at the Delmar Guild because he talked about how he loved to touch his fabrics.  And don't we all!  Anyway, it was a pleasant time, and I was able to get some work done in there that needs doing.

The afternoon was spent running errands and doing yard work.  The gardens in the back are now ready for raking as we cut down or pulled out all the dying remains of our flowers.  It sounds as though it is a sad thing, but even though I am sorry that the blooms are gone, I like to think of today's work as the beginning of the next growing season.  Think how the soils rests and reinvigorates itself and how the roots of the perennials are spreading and getting stronger for next year.  Anyway, with both of us working it didn't take too long (though longer than it used to!), but I still think I'll feel some twinges tomorrow!

While I was organizing this morning, D was putting together my two new bookcases that arrived yesterday. Doing that made it possible for us to set up my new cutting table after our garden work.  I had decided some time back that I simply wasn't going to spend a lot of money on a manufactured cutting table.  So I checked for an appropriate alternative and presented D with an idea.  Look at what we came up with:


D salvaged the solid core door that used to be the door into our garage (we came up to code with the recent construction and now have a steel door in its place).  He filled in the holes where the doorknob, latch, and hinges had been, sanded down everything, and then primed and painted the door with an oil-based white paint.  We carried it upstairs from the garage (boy, that door is no light weight!), put it on top of two 36" tall bookcases, and Bob's your uncle!  I now have a cutting table that will double as an ironing board after I make the appropriate cover.  Isn't this terrific?

D just suggested that I buy two more bookcases that we can put under the center portion of the table to provide more storage.  Oh, yes!

4 comments:

  1. What an absolutely great cutting table - and with all that storage underneath!!!!!! Let's just say I'm starting to turn green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your and D's "table" idea and construction should win some kind of award. Ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Construction" may be too strong a word especially in light of your recent renovations. Still, you yourselves a pat on the back.

    The fall background (leaves) is very nice to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very impressed with D's ingenuity, but then I always knew you both had it in spades.

    ReplyDelete