Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Crazy Quilt Block #4 - the Beginning

My fourth crazy quilt block is started.  I made some noises yesterday about showing you what I have so far, and I try to keep my word - see below:
 
 

 
This block honors my great-grandmother who left Scotland as a young woman and went to Canada.  There she met my great-grandfather, they married, had children, and at some point settled in the USA.  In the photo above you can see that I have basted dark red ribbon and a row of tatting around her photo (isn't she lovely?).  Red because I like it and the tatting because I am no longer sure if the tatting shuttles I inherited were from her or from my grandmother.  So - just in case, I included that particular needle art in this block.  Because I have those shuttles, I recently learned how to tat and now know enough so I can tell the difference between tatting and crochet when I see them - but not much else! 
 
Because she is from Scotland, I found some plaid fabric, made little pleats, and stitched it on as though it were a kilt.  We all know the ladies didn't wear the kilts, but again, it seemed appropriate.  Besides, I've always loved plaids so this gave me a good excuse to use one in this block.   
 
Below you will see the large embroidery motif I have planned for her though it may be difficult to tell what it is at this stage.  It is a thistle, and the Giordes knot (aka turkey work) in purple threads is maybe one third to one half finished.  When it is all done, the thread loops will be cut, the threads laid out smoothly, and then cut to make the bushy head of the bloom.  You might remember that I used this same stitch for the thatched roof on the cottage in the rabbit block (see Tuesday, April 2, 2013 "Rabbit Block" - the cottage is in the upper right hand).  There, once the threads were all trimmed to the length I wanted, I "tied" them down with stitches to make the roof have the look of sheaves of thatch).

 
You can see that I stitched only the outlines of the leaves; one stretches all the way across the "kilt" to hold the pleats in place.  I hadn't planned that originally, but I don't want to take it out and possibly damage the fabric on which it is sewn.  It looks odd as it is now, I think, so I will stitch another, open leaf beneath it for balance.  The globe of the thistle isn't quite finished either. 
 
As I said, this is just the beginning, but at least you have some idea of why I have chosen certain elements.  Tune in for another look in a week or so!
 
By the way, I have received a few requests for my e-mail from people who say they have read my blog and want to become friends.  Please post your comments directly to my blog. While I have no wish to insult anyone, I will not give out personal information which I am sure you can all understand.

3 comments:

  1. You've gotten more done on the thistle than when I saw it. This is going to go beautifully with your other blocks and you are going to have one spectacular quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these blocks you so intimately create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just. One. Word.
    AMAZING!!
    but would expect nothing less from you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete