Thursday, April 25, 2013

Spring is Here!

Just in case you have missed the sure signs that spring has really arrived even though the temperatures are still on the cool side, I thought I'd show you proof. This afternoon I wandered out to the back yard, camera in hand, to capture some of my favorite flowers frolicking.

Can't say why, but this one reminds me a Dutch maid.
In the morning D and I finished putting down the mulch, and that was when I noticed how lovely these daffodils are.  Last year I was terribly disappointed that we had hardly any.  I blamed the chipmunks even though I know daffodil bulbs are not eaten by the usual bulb-eating crews.  Then I got sensible (don't worry, it was momentary!) and realized that the bulbs were quite old.  Maybe even daffodil bulbs get tired after 30 years!  Therefore, in last fall I planted new bulbs and that is what you see here.

"And then she told him . . . lean closer so I can whisper in your ear."
 Since they have bloomed so beautifully this year, I know the chipmunks were not to blame.  This coming fall I will go all out and splurge on bags and bags of these beauties.



 "Wait till Selma sees the bit of fluff I've brought for the nest!"

This is the Vermont birdhouse; it is the oldest of all of them, but every year it houses birds.  As you can tell, this year sparrows have taken up residence instead of the usual Carolina wrens.  D spruced the house up over the winter - gave it a new roof and perching possibilities as well as repainting it a pale gray.  The sparrows chose wisely; they'll stay nice and dry!

2 comments:

  1. Your daffodils are beautiful!! I have one red tulip that has sprouted. I think the rest are waiting for my sister to arrive on Saturday.

    The new resident of the Vermont house looks like he's chosen wisely. Everything looks like it's pointing to spring finally arriving - and not soon enough if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! (and here I was bashing daffodils on my post )....especially love the birdhouse and its occupant. We have to talk lenses :-)
    So glad spring is here, no??

    ReplyDelete