Monday, April 15, 2013

Hang-It-Dang-It

Several years ago, ME gave me a wall hanging she had made that she, after listening to me carefully one day, thought might coordinate with the bed quilt I had made for our bed.  And she was right; it was the perfect companion piece.  D and I purchased a wooden hanger for it and put it up in our bedroom.
 
Time went by and our daughter needed a hanger for a piece I had made for her.  "Gee, Mom," she said, "I really like the one you have in your bedroom.  May I take that one?  You can get another one, right?" 
 
Well, of course, we said, "Yes."  And down came the special wall hanging in our room.
 
Time went by again (have you noticed how it does that?), and I saw the "Hang-It-Dang-It" in a quilting magazine.  What a clever idea, I thought, and filed it away in the "get-to-it-some-day" corner of my mind.  You know what happened; I forgot about it.
 
Finally the day came when I looked at that empty space on our wall and remembered that cool hanger thingee I had seen somewhere.  Luckily enough for me, after talking to others who had one, I was able to find it on line.  It's quite inexpensive and had more good reviews than bad so I bought one.
 
D and I put it up in no time; indeed, I could have put it up myself.  I put the hanging on the rod, plugged the rod into its bracket, and it was up!

 
You can see the decorative hook we used on the wall and the ends of the rod in the photo above.  I'd like to find some kind of hook that wouldn't show at all, but this one doesn't bother me.  You'll also notice that there is about one inch of rod on either side of the wall hanging.  That's because I bought the size for a slightly larger - larger wall hanging for two reasons. 
 
First, the negative reviews of this "Hang-It-Dang-It" complained that the rod "bowed" on either end from the weight of their quilts so I felt that if I bought a slightly bigger size it should accommodate more weight.  I wonder if the problem was those people were hanging quilts quite a bit longer than wide or if they were heavily embellished or had weighty fabrics?
 
Second, I have a tendency to make larger quilts and thought it would be nice to use this space for a winter scene (if I ever make one) that might or might not be larger than this lovely, summery hydrangea basket.  Buying the size rod I did would make it possible to hang a larger quilt.
 
Now let me tell you about this generous gift from ME.  It is, without question, a lovely piece of work.  The yellow fabric used as the background for the basket is almost a perfect match for the yellow of our bedroom walls.  The blooms in this work are the blue of the "Endless Summer" hydrangeas which we love.  The hydrangeas in the quilt I made are periwinkle so the two coordinate very well indeed. 
 
 
And, just in case that's not enough, I love and use cloth hankies (though not the one in the basket!) and have a collection of them also.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment