Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Loose Ends and Knitting

Of late I seem to be at loose ends and find it difficult to settle down to anything other than a good book.  I've sewed a bit and have a few blocks to show for it, but I need to find just the right fabrics to continue.  My hand sewing came out for some exercise last Sunday.  It's put away again and isn't send out any lures.  Both crazy quilt and wool work beckon but weakly.

I've even found myseslf dreaming about knitting!  So much so that I requested a new knitting book from the library.  While I do like to knit, it's a sometimes thing so it's a good idea to borrow a knitting book rather than impulsively purchasing it.  Or at least that's the idea.

The problem is I fell in love with the book and would like to knit almost everything in it - well maybe 75% of the patterns.  Since it's a new book, I couldn't keep it long enough to read the text as I would have liked to.  With all those caveats (I'm only a modest fan of knitting and I haven't read this book), I'm going to recommend it anyway. 

Below is a brief review from Amazon:

Medieval-Inspired Knits: Stunning Brocade & Swirling Vine Patterns with Embellished Borders
By Anna-Karin Lundberg

Inspired by the dramatic murals in the medieval churches of the province of Uppland, Sweden, this collection of colorful knitwear projects is sure to challenge and reward experienced knitters. Whirling botanical details, three-dimensional patterns, and embellished borders combine in a sumptuous collection of sweaters, vests, hats, and mittens in sizes for adults and children.  Inspired by the dramatic murals in the medieval churches of the province of Uppland, Sweden, this collection of colorful knitwear projects is sure to challenge and reward experienced knitters. Whirling botanical details, three-dimensional patterns, and embellished borders combine in a sumptuous collection of sweaters, vests, hats, and mittens in sizes for adults and children. With clearly presented instructions and color photographs of both the completed designs and the paintings, panels, and tapestries that inspired them, the stunning results of these patterns are complete with button details, creative edgings, flattering profiles, and finishing touches that are reminiscent of the tunics and robes commonly worn in the Middle Ages.
 
I have to say that I am attracted to the medieval period and to the recreation of medieval design by the Pre-Raphaelites and others (I include Anna-Karin Lundberg), but I suggest if this book sounds interesting to you, check the review on www.knittingscholar.com. That review is possibly a bit more realistic than my emotional reaction allows me to be. 
 
Whether you buy the book or not, I do think you'll enjoy looking at it and maybe find alternative ways to use the designs.




No comments:

Post a Comment