Sunday, April 14, 2013

Opalka Gallery at Sage

Before I forget I want to encourage you to go to the Opalka Gallery at Sage (entrance on New Scotland Avenue) before April 21, 2013.  You know that occasionally I write about books I'm reading or have read, and reading is one thing that led me to the current exhibit at this gallery.  The second reason I wanted to go is my love of quilting.  Now, combine the two and you have the exhibit in your hands.

Faith Ringgold became a hero of mine when I read Tar Beach, a picture book for youngsters.  Ms Ringgold wrote and illustrated this story of a girl whose family lives in NYC and spends hot days on the roof of their apartment building to enjoy the breezes and their own "tar" beach.  There's more to it than that, of course; it's a wonderful story of imagination.  And the illustrations?  Well, they're delightful:

Faith Ringgold's "Tar Beach #2" from 1990
This quilt shows how the little girl imagines herself flying over the bridge.  It's much larger than I thought, and is a silk screen on silk (many of her quilts for books are painted with acrylics on canvas quilted with what looks like nylon fishing line!).

Ringgold "Sunflower Quilting Bee at Arles", 1996
The lithograph above is an homage to the many black women who struggled for economic independence and racial equality, but what really tickled me is the figure in the background on the upper right.  It's Vincent Van Gogh; Ringgold gave him credit for her inspriation in this subtle gesture (no where is he mentioned by name or identified in any way except for the pot of sunflowers; you're expected to know him and his work - love it!).

The second artist represented in the show is Aminah Brenda Lynn Robinson with whom I was not familiar at all.  "Crowman", the sculpture below is made from recycled clothing and other materials and represents a beloved storyteller from Robinson's childhood. 

 
The second work of Robinson's is a collage of fabric and buttons with painted details, one of a series.  If you can read the "headlines" in the newspaper the woman is holding, you will get the gist of the artist's purpose.  I love the way Robinson depicted hands and enjoyed pondering why hands have such prominence in her work.
 
 
Since I just realized that all of the examples I am showing here have captions, I won't add any more of my own, but I will say that these illustrations come from the pamphlet I purchased at the show.
 
The show itself is small, and depending on how much time you take to really examine the works, it won't take you very long to see the entire exhibit.  I think we were there for less than 2 hours.  I would also encourage you to go on-line to your library and see if you can request some of Ringgold's books.  They are well worth reading and you will truly enjoy pouring over her quilted illustrations.   
 
But do try to see the exhibit!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment