Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Self-Imposed Complications

D had asked me to find some bonsai material so I could make pillowcases with it.  When I asked what he wanted them for, he said, "As a gift."  Okay, thought I, he wants to put them in the blind auction to benefit the bonsai club.  I found fabric that he really likes, and to make a complicated story less so, it turns out that he wanted the pillowcases for our pillows.   Today I made them for him, and the fabric makes stunning pillowcases.

 
While I was ironing them, I had another one of those "well-smack-me-in-the-head" moments. Remember the shoji screen story - the search for the pattern, finding it, making it for D - all of that?  Now picture this pillowcase fabric in the Shoji Screen pattern. With fussy cutting and enough fabric, I might be able to make four blocks (mostly moon with a little Mt. Fuji, rocky coast with pine tree and a little Mt. Fuji, upper dramatic wave and boats, and lower wave).  Wouldn't that be an eye-popper! 


Even if I couldn't get four blocks that work together, I could possibly use the rocky coast or wave twice, or find fabric in an appropriate color to fill in.
 
It amazes me how easily I can draw the wrong conclusion (pillowcases for us vs for bonsai club) or misinterpret what is requested (did he want Hokusai's wave fabric in the screen to begin with?) even when I think I know my husband well!  How much easier it would have been to make him what he wants if I had only asked the important questions:
 
  • For whom do you want the pillowcases?
  • What fabric do you think would look best with the screen pattern?
 
But then, where would be the fun in that?  I do seem to need to complicate things!

1 comment:

  1. The pillowcases came out just beautifully. He should be very happy. Now where's the quilt that goes with??? And I'll bet the next Shoji quilt is stunning, too.

    Happy to be friends with such a talented woman!

    ReplyDelete