Monday, April 29, 2013

Subject of the VERY LARGE Painting

Yesterday I talked about the canvas for the next painting, and I showed you the source photo so you’d understand the size issue.  Did it surprise you that I’ve chosen another lake scene?  I didn’t think so!  Today I’ll talk a bit about this choice so I’ll show the photo in a more enhanced version.
 
 
If you compare this photo with the one in yesterday’s blog, you may see the difference between the two.  The first is what the camera really saw the evening I took the picture.  In today’s version, the light and contrast have been boosted in editing making some of the details clearer.  For example, you can now very clearly see the colors in the reflection of the mountain in the pond in the foreground.  Amazing, isn’t it?  Can you also see the farm house and the silo?
I chose another lake picture for three reasons.  One, we have an emotional connection with this lake that makes it both easy and compelling for me to paint that subject.  I don’t mean the actual painting is easy, but when I have that connection it’s easier to struggle both with getting the painting the way I want it and with the time it takes to do so.  Two, it’s a fascinating photo because of the reflection of the rock face of the distant mountain.  Three, it’s a lovely view of a lovely place.
This view has been in my mind as a subject for a painting for quite a while.  That means that I’ve also begun thinking about possible problems.  First, I have to sketch a version of the photo that will fit the canvas size I’ve chosen.  Remember, I have a photo printed on a 9”X12” paper, and it doesn’t quite fill that sheet of paper.  Now think about the canvas size (24”X48”).  You see the issue?  I’ll need to stretch the view.
There’s also the problem of clarity.  It was close to twilight when I took the picture so darkness was beginning to make itself felt.  My tendency is to brighten things up in my paintings, anyway, but I’ll have to be careful here not to overdo.  Plus, it’s hard to see details even in a “boosted” version of the photo so I’ll have to call on memory (a suspect mental capacity at best!) and knowledge of trees, mountains, water surfaces, light, etc.
Just look at that diagonal cloud!  In a painting that won’t read as very believable especially with the underlying ones looking quite definitely horizontal.  And do you see the tiny pink puff of cloud almost in the middle of the sky?  If you peer really hard, you may also see barely evident bluish-white even smaller cloud streaks coming in from the left.  In order to make that tiny pink cloud believable, I’ll have to make more of the almost invisible ones.
Anyway, it’s all very interesting, don’t you think?

1 comment:

  1. When you first indicated that you wanted to do this image on a large canvas, I could really see why you chose it. The great expanse of sky almost dwarfs your mountain-lake scene. I like that it takes more than half the canvas just to show the sky above the clouds. I couldn't see the little pink cloud until I blew up the picture. I almost think that the cloud will draw the viewer away from the scene below. It will be tricky, and maybe not workable. I'm not sure you will need it. However, your sky will have to glow from top to bottom. A true challenge. I agree that' it's important to paint what you love and know. When my art teacher painted Willoughby gap after I gave her the photos to share with the class, it was one of the few times I did not think she captured the scene. Knowing it, is so important.

    ReplyDelete