Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Crazy Quilt: Rabbit Block

Today there are three completed blocks in my Crazy Quilt box.  This is cause for celebration and cheers on my part because they do take a long time.  Of course, it would help if I worked on them regularly, but, as you know, there are so many things to work on!  The Rabbit block is finished. 

 
Here are some questions for you to answer:
  1. How many rabbits are in this block?
  2. How many sections in the block have carrots?
  3. Where does the rabbit live?
  4. What is the rabbit's name?
  5. For which question is there no answer?
Today during our class a participant asked me, "Why did you do the Rabbit block?  What significance does it have?"  I didn't really have an answer for her because there was no real reason.  What happened is this.  I challenged myself to make a block using a textured fabric (the gray), to limit the palette of fabrics used to gray/silver/black, orange, and blue.  While not completely successful, I came close.  I added the purchased carrots (and tomato?)applique.  Then, the lines in the textured gray forced me to think of a good way to make use of them and a garden of carrots seemed a good choice to go with the applique and my requisite orange color.  Well, who likes carrots?  Rabbits!   Not terribly symbolic - just whimsical.
 
Answers to the Rabbit block questions:
 
  1. How many rabbits are in this block?  Four
  2. How many sections in the block have carrots? Four
  3. Where does the rabbit live? Thatched cottage
  4. What is the rabbit's name? Any name you want.  I call him Farmer Wrabit.
  5. For which question is there no answer?  Number four (his name doesn't appear in the block . . . yet).
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you answered the questions. This block is exquisite in the photo and even better in person. You did great and I love that you encrust your work with stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. from who loves rabbits, you must know how much I adore this block! Had to go back and take a closer look to find #4! Didn't think I did too badly on that first question :-)
    I must see these blocks in person- very soon, my dear!

    ReplyDelete