Tuesday, April 28, 2015

An Improbable Project Turned Probable

Another good day.  I worked on a quilting project that will result in a very special quilt, but which I can't share.  That leaves me wondering what I can write about . . .

In another week or so, I will be taking a two-and-a-half day class with Esterita Austin (check her site and look at her work under Gallery).  I signed up for this class because I admire her work - a lot! - but there is a downside.  The project for this class is a self-portrait.  Therein lies the rub.  A quilted self-portrait?  Now, aside from learning her techniques and benefiting tremendously from that, what on earth would I do with the final product?  A self-portrait?  

One of the "supplies" needed for the class is a large portrait of close to professional quality of myself.  In short, a selfie taken with my phone wouldn't do.  A friend of ours is a very talented photographer and was willing to take the required photo; he did a great job so I'm covered . . . except I still have the same problem.  It will still be a self-portrait.

Ah, but then I had a great idea.  I had Brian take picture of both D and me with some props to make it interesting.  Instead of a simple self-portrait, I will have a portrait of both of us created with my own sense of whimsy.  

So there!

1 comment:

  1. You're going to have lots of fun and, more importantly, learn an awful lot of stuff that you WILL actually use in your quilting life!

    ReplyDelete