Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 13 of Challenge 3

Yesterday I laid out most of the remaining design elements for this quilt.  I'm still happy with it and feel it really "sings".  Here's another part:

The girl's hair is only pinned on but the rest is almost finished (minus the embroidery details).  The boy has just released fireflies from the jar he is holding in his right hand.
I also just read a national quilting magazine, one that I like, and it has confirmed in me that I am not a designer that creates works that will sell.  Although I like to say that my style is "neo-traditional", I think others would disagree with me.  I looked enviously at the quilts in that magazine, momentarily wished that they were mine, but eventually accepted the truth.  My style is mine, my family and loyal friends and supporters like it, but it's too, what?, complicated? artsy? individual? for most.

The wonderful thing about taking part in this contest is that I'm all right with loving and making bed quilts designed by others and with enjoying designing and making unique quilts for my small circle.  I've not only learned who I am as a designer, but I have also learned to appreciate my own creations.  

Lucky me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment